What it’s like
Depression can feel awful – it usually includes symptoms like these
- can’t be bothered to do things that used to make you feel happy
- sleeping too much or even the opposite but – whichever – finding it so difficult to motivate yourself to get up (what’s the point, right?)
- comfort eating or actually not really wanting to eat
- cutting yourself off from family and friends
- thinking really negative things about yourself and about other people too, in fact, recently you might even find them very irritating.
There’s a rational part of you that knows you’re not doing yourself any favours, but it doesn’t take away that leaden weight or make you feel any better.